Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Portal » Board index » PUBLIC FORUMS » Server events and event rules

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: November Prize Contest
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:56 pm 

OOoops ... Short Notice on my return to the Underverse seeing as I just found this thread and polling starts tomorrow at midnight.
I would have liked to come up with something new, but will throw my old RP Story as a Freelancer arriving in Origin in the hat.

Good Stuff Already Entered and Good Luck to Everyone.

[X]Hiryuu[X] wrote:

Life Leads To Underverse

At any other time, I would have chuckled at the irony in the name … Origin Morgue. The day was not a good day. It was the end of a five year search that had stretched across the vast void of Sirius and mysteriously ended in a place called Origin. Five years searching for someone who did not want to be found. Five years I had spent pursuing a promise I had made to my mother. I was there in the morgue to identify my sister Amanda, who had been found on top of a pile of garbage at the bottom of the dump-chute outside Mandy’s Bar and Grill.

The doctor in charge of forensics said nothing when I met him outside the doors of the observation room, and only motioned for me to pass through in front of him. It was cold when we stepped inside the room, and there were five tables that sported human pup tents of varying sizes. Many times I had thought about the way my search would end, but I had not imagined it this way. When the man spoke it startled me, as I had not prepared for this scenario.

“I completed the autopsy last night,” he spoke dryly, as I almost expected him to whisper like most people do around the dead. “I didn’t find anything unusual, considering the fact she was a habitual drug user and a prostitute. Her death was most probably the result of the fall down the chute, and the unfortunate collision with unforgiving debris at the bottom. There was some evidence of premortem injury, but at the same time there was evidence of chronic abuse associated with long-term forced servitude, which leaves it a question as to whether she jumped, stumbled or was physically deposited into the chute.”

The cold disconnect the doctor demonstrated hardly phased me as my eyes wandered over the covered bodies that occupied the tables. I could not help but notice how one body failed to hold any suggestion of a human form, and only hoped it would not be the remains I would have to view.

The doctor continued his explanation of her death with a frosty touch of uncertainty coupled with a genuine dose of nonchalance, “The only thing I can say for certain is that the cause of death can be attributed to the separation of spine between the third and fourth cervical vertebrae. In a way this is a good thing seeing as she probably did not suffer long, and subsequent death would be close to immediate.”

The doctor’s voice drew nearer as I paused to wait for some clue as to which body was Amanda’s. He passed me and turned quickly to reach for the sheet covering a body to my left. As he pulled back the sanitary covering, my heart leaped in anticipation. I had not imagined this moment, the acceptance of failure, and the concrete reality of my quest drawing to an end. As the sheet fell past her face, I hardly recognized her. The skin was taut with malnutrition and excessive weight loss. I did notice the scar on her right forehead from when we had been playing super heroes in my parent’s bedroom. It was her alright, and she was not looking well at all.

After acknowledging the dead woman was my sister, I was quick to finalize all necessary arrangements with the authorities. The body would be cremated and the remains delivered to my mother at the estate on Baden Baden, so far away from this place. I signed the documents and paid for the charges in transportation without hesitation. It did not cross my mind at that time why I opted to ship her remains home instead of taking them myself. Somehow I must have known then.

I wandered around outside the public facilities for an hour. I was lost in a way. I had been called back from college to the family estate shortly after the assassination of my father by Hessian dissidents. Amanda had left my mother alone to chase the Hessians she felt were responsible into the dark reaches of Omega 41. After some thought and a promise to my mother to bring Amanda back, I had followed her trail deep into the underworld of Sirius. For almost the majority of my young adult life, and all of the previous five years I had been on that quest, and to no avail. Now I was not only a failure, but completely without an idea on what to do.

All of my recent life had been dedicated to roaming through the nefarious regions and organizations of Sirius in search of answers and clues to her location. Countless hours spent turning the ears of less than appealing thugs and dregs for tiny morsels of information that would lead me to the next best place to look. I had followed a trail that lead from a stalwart attempt to bring the fist of justice down on my father’s assailants, into the empty wanderings of an addict reduced to selling herself to quench the thirst for a poison that starved away the pain.

It was not long before I noticed I was no longer walking, but staring into a large window outside a high end retailer of luxury clothing and cosmetics. I was not staring at the contents, and had hardly realized it was even a store. I was staring at the wretched sole in my reflection staring back. It was then I realized why Amanda did not want to be found. It was then I realized why I had opted to ship her remains home. I almost did not recognize myself in context to the young woman who had left years ago. I was not the person who had left then, and there was no way I could envision myself back there again.

Slowly the relief of the consequential end of my quest started to set in as I still gazed into my reflection. The weight of the duty and responsibility to my promise ebbed from my being as syrup drains from the maple tree. I was free now, but not without the price. I had paid for my freedom in innocence, and the road that lay ahead of me now was certain to be far from my intentions as a young law student at Hamburg University.

Most people called this place Origin as if some kind of sick joke. It seemed to me to be the last outpost in a forgotten corner of Sirius. Of course there were the five wormholes that lead away from Origin. The people I had talked to spoke about place on the other side of the wormholes. A place called the Underverse, and a place they all said there was no return from. For a brief moment I thought about how much that sounded like the rest of life.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Excellent :)

Tomorrow at midnight is indeed the deadline before this thread is locked and polling starts.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

3.5 hours until the entries are closed and the voting will begin!

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:02 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Entries are now closed. See the poll thread to vote uv20

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Portal » Board index » PUBLIC FORUMS » Server events and event rules