Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Portal » Board index » PUBLIC FORUMS » Freelancers Lounge

Post subject: The UnderVerse NeverEndingStory
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome to the UnderVerse NeverEndingStory! Each person can add to this story as you see fit. This first part is a bit over 400 words, a good goal for every poster.

-------------------------------

There I was, on one of the longest ghost runs I had ever done. Drifting through the Tarantino system in a Crysis Company Soul Train to conserve fuel and to avoid the power scans of the locals. Nasty place here, a dozen of the bad sorts you only hear stories about from the few survivors. I was nodding off at the controls, waking up with a start with my face in a pile of drool on the console. I ran an old rag across the controls, no need for an electrical fireworks tonight. Wiping my cheek on my shirt I wondered if I could possibly finish my watch awake. I considered rousing the ensign to see if he would take the rest of the watch, but I had done that yesterday. He pulled 15 hours already, not fair to ask again. My eyes burned from the acrid air in the cabin, too many long trips with a barely working air purifier system. How I longed for some terra firma under my feet and fresh air! I barely remember what it smells like. I was starting to regret signing up with this crew, the pay was fantastic but the boredom was mind numbing. And the entertainment? What entertainment! Not exactly a snappy lot on here. More about them later. Recording this log helps to keep my mind a little more alert. I only hope that if I don't make it back from one of these runs that it gets to my folks back at Ma and Pa's Gritz World. They are so proud of their little business.

As I rose to head to the john an alarm started blaring and I jumped so hard I smacked my head on an overhead pipe. Holy jebus that hurt! With my head throbbing I slipped back down into the chair and slammed my hand down on the alarm silence button. As I scanned the readings I could see we had been discovered, enemies inbound! Gimps from Zed's Pawn Shop by the looks of their profile. How those guys ever commandeered ships I have no clue. Leather seats not optional with that crowd, heh. I hit the General Quarters button as I brought the fire control system online. I only hoped those wahoos had fixed the number 4 and 6 turrets after our last fight, we won't stand a chance if they didn't. I took the engines out of sleep mode and brought them online. Once powered up I hit the thrusters and activated the turrets. Targets were now at 4km and closing fast. The missile lock alarm went off...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:26 pm 

Ok, here's my two cents worth:

I was flying my saucer through Tarantino hauling some of them silly Ornithopters to Aquila when I came across a train.

She had been jumped by a bunch of pirates and was in bad shape as they had a lot of ships and had really hammered her shields. I decided that since I was board and had no crew on this run, I might as well have some fun.

Dropping out of cruise, I hit the pirates from behind with all turrets firing and took out two in the first pass. That gave the Train a chance and she used it well. She took out two more with her turrets and was backing away from them to give a narrower target when i came in again. This time, I passed through the mob and took out two of them and then hit my forward thrusters. this brought me almost to a hault in seconds as the pirates flow past me.

Hitting the rear thrusters, i surged ahead and got another from the back. While i was doing this, i hit the tractor to see what i might pick up. I didn't pay any attention to it otherwise as I continued to pound on the ships ahead of me as they looped back to fight some more.

While all this was going on the Train came creeping up and hit them with her heavy turrets and took out two more. This brought the number down to around 10 left in action, which was a much more managable number.

I hit the forward thrusters again to slow down and let the returning pirates pass me as I turned my ship and attacked again. This time I only got one but managed to damage two others. The rest tried to circle around behind me but found the train instead. She took down two more of them while i finished off the two cripples. that left seven that i could see on the scanner. It looked like that beat up old Soul Train and my Saucer made a good team. We'd defeated a large number of heavy fighters in a very short time and the others looked like they were leaving. One was a bit slow, though, so i took it out and tractered in what loot I could.

After the last fighter faded off the scanner, I hailed the train to say hello...

This is actually kinda fun fer sumptin ta do...

He rammed me and spilt my coffee!!!

Now my control panel is melting...

Oh crap. He ejected right into my forward viewport. That stain will never come out!!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

p.s. Anyone can add to this story! Either take the place of an existing character and continue it or add a new character. 15~

Portal » Board index » PUBLIC FORUMS » Freelancers Lounge