Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Portal » Board index » PUBLIC FORUMS » Featured System of the week

Post subject: The basics of a station (what it takes)
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:36 am 
UV Modding Team
UV Modding Team

For the curious gamer, here is a basic breakdown of what I have to do to create these amazing custom bases into the UV.

1. For starters we have the milkshape file that has our model, which has the extra texture .tga or .dds file for it.
This model has to be segmented or "grouped" as ms3d calls it, into no more than 18 groups, the maximum for the sur exporter. Just like anything else in FL, each group has it's own unique name. After regrouping it is scaled to the desired size and then exported to CMP and MAT formats. The CMP exporter must be told that there are as many groups in the cmp to whatever the count is. I call this my test.cmp/mat file.

2. Once the CMP is exported, the ms3d file which has the regrouped model in it gets a "Save As" making a second .ms3d file. This will be the file to make the chunks for the sur file. Getting to this point can take around 4-6 hours to complete, depending on how much free time I have to spare.

3. Following the sur tut and files I have, which was made by Devast8or, (thanks Man, it made the most sense on how to make custom and functional sur files) I use the basic box and Cyllinder (pardon typo)in Milkshape to cover the segments with. This can take another couple to several hours to get right. These chunks have the same name as my model's with the extention of _lod1 at the end of each one. (Station4_group_lod1 for example) This also gets scaled to the proper size. Once completed I create a test.sur file to look at the results. This is not the final product, just a visual aid for me to see how it looks in HardCMP.
By this point I have deleted the model from the sur ms3d file.

The next couple of stages gets a little easier, but have their own twists.

4. The sur exporter. Each _lod Group gets saved as a seperate .sur file, where I give it a mass. The main chunk gets 1/2 of the mass of the final size cuz it's the root chunk. The remainder gets the other half divided the number of groups Here is an example. I have a station which final mass is 20,000. There are 18 groups to sur. Group 1 gets 1/2 of that (10,000) cuz it's the root. The others get a mass of @ 588 because of 10,000/17. I now have 18 seperate sur files.

The Final step is marrying these seperate sur files into one file. In come the splice it command line utility. I create a .ini file telling it the name of the sur files and the name of that group. then I tab once or twice and retype it w/o the .sur If it is the root it just gets root. There is other data I input as well in this ini.
Example:
Station4_group1_lod1.sur<tab><tab>root
Station4_group2_lod1.sur<tab><tab>Station4_group2_lod1

Save, then run my splicer. If all has gone well, I should see the final married sur file.

After all that, tweak the cmp HP and place gun HP on it, then save all three files their final name.cmp/mat/sur
Total length of time (of free time) 2-3 days maybe 4. (Min)

Fus

Last edited by [RIP]Fusion on Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:34 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Holy jeebus. Even I didn't know how much time that took!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:09 am 

Ahhhhhhhhh ?? What language was that in ? Thot it started with making bases and then there was a wedding thrown in ? Important thing- did u get to go fishing somewhere in there ?
15~ 15~

I will appreciate them and raise a glass to Fusion in every bar i dock at !!!!
Tnks

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:25 pm 

27~ 20~ the master is at work

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:13 pm 
UV Modding Team
UV Modding Team

Ant,
I don't fish, nor do I eat it (unless it's a tuna fish sandwich.)
The part that takes the longest is the sur chunk creation w/the squares and cylinders.

I will use the outhouse base as an example. To get the final cmp/mat/sur files it took the following files:

2 ms3d files (Milkshape)
1 dds texture file
4 separate sur files
1 spliced sur file (created by the combing of the separate surs)
1 .bat file (Made by the splicer, but not used)
1 ini file (told the splicer what the order of groups is in the cmp)

Programs used:
Milkshape 1.7.1.0 (includes the FL CMP/MAT/SUR exporters)
HardCMP
FLModelTool
Sur Splicer utility

I hope this gives you the player a small fragment of what it takes to mod for Freelancer even the most basic elements.

Fus

Post subject: Re: The basics of a station (what it takes)
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:20 pm 

awsome! just awsome! tks man! i can only dream about doing what u do.

Post subject: Re: The basics of a station (what it takes)
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:34 pm 

Oh boy uv11

Damn complicated and time consume thing ,Fus . uv25

I'm 3d designer/constructor in automotive industry ,but My job looks like baby play in comparision to Yours.
But modern 3d cad software is more friendly ,I think. We use Autodesk Inventor in our company.

Respect uv1

Profile E-mail  

Portal » Board index » PUBLIC FORUMS » Featured System of the week