Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Portal » Board index » PUBLIC FORUMS » PLAYER HELP

Post subject: Hop/Server/Route change
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:45 pm 
UV Modding Team
UV Modding Team

Ok, my problem is this, when i connect to the game (IP 72.232.217.50) I have 15 hops

But the fifth always times out when I do a "tracert 72.232.217.50" in teh Command Line Prompt

So does anyone have clues on how to avoid that specific hop that always times out and gives me my lag/loss/ping problems, sort of say reroute my connection to the server of the game so it will avoid that screwed server hop

All recommendations welcome!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Hop/Server/Route change
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:08 pm 
UV Modding Team
UV Modding Team

Sometimes it can come down the infrastructure that your ISP has at it's disposal. If it is beyond your Local network then odds on it's out of your direct control. Sometimes it maybe network congestion at that hop or other things like work on the lines in that area, some things to consider are things like, is the problem consistent at any hour of the day or is it more problematic at certain times.

If it were me I would ping -t the particular ip of the hop that is giving you problem then press Ctrl+C and which will give you a summary of the ping / loss. Then I would export the results into a text document and launch a polite but firm ticket with your Internet Service Provider explaining to them it is crucial your service is improved.
Sometimes it is beyond their control too, but worth a try - good luck.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:36 pm 
UV Modding Team
UV Modding Team

Cool!

I know about the ping -t, was using that a lot lately to track my connection to the game server (72.232.217.50)

It seems after talking/yelling with my ISP provider for the past months that the problem comes up on a server just outside my ISP, my ISP is 4th on the "tracert" list and the problem happens at the the 5th hop So they explained politely that it is out of their reach and competence of their section. They can not fix that on their end... d'oh!

As for the ping -t, depending on hours it goes from 130 to over 600 when pinging the game server, including loss that goes from 0-25% depending of the time and day of the week, weekends and Tuesdays things go out of hand, the rest of the week it aint too bad...

So there is still the question, is there a way to make hops go a certain way and avoid that screwed server that pings out every time I do a tracert 72.232.217.50, its the fifth hop just after my ISP guys, they were working on the thing for 2 month and were unable to fix it, they talked to me about some DNS stuff but was unable to make things clear for me so I can do something on my end to avoid that bloody out-ping server who screws me for almost 2 years now, yes I say years that is the time I have those problems, ever since I play with UV and always get that damn hop-server what ever i try on my end

so if anyone has clues on how to avoid that server by setting a route manually I will much appreciate!

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:17 am 

I do remember a way to manually avoid certain servers assuming there is an alternative server available - rather, I remember finding a way to do so once. I will have to search a bit to see if such things can still be done. Will keep you posted

uv29

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:40 am 
UV Modding Team
UV Modding Team

Sweet!

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:53 pm 

Does your isp have alternate dns servers? Like, primary, secondary, tertiary etc?

I think I figured it out. BUT, the key is to change the very DNS servers you use by finding alternates within your isp. Now Im starting to remember this after a 12 hour sleep lol

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:53 pm 
UV Modding Team
UV Modding Team

Cool, waiting for a callback from my ISP about technical help to fix my problem, wonder when they will call back, they left a message this morning telling me to call em back, but when i did thay they had no clue why i was supposed to call back aznd I did not understand the message the guy left on my cell phone so again screwed.... D'OH!

Profile E-mail  

Portal » Board index » PUBLIC FORUMS » PLAYER HELP